Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

On 10/29/06, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 08:12:46PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hi,
> A year ago, I asked debian-user about favourite applications. The big
> winners in that thread were GIMP, Firefox, K3b, gThumb, and
> Thunderbird. I would like to start it again, and I would like those
> who are get bored by this to please pardon me.

<snip>
Hi Tshepang,
I have asked before on debian-devel if debian users could be involved in
a seperate informal vote like the one from DPL. In that vein, i'd also
like to see your poll use the Debian voting infrastucture, devotee, to
produce vote results. I think it would be great to have yearly votes
like this one or other ones that show what the debian populace think.
Any thoughts on this?

Sound like a brilliant idea. I just don't have an idea how it would be
implemented, except that there should be provision for names of real
binaries, instead of names of debian binaries, e.g. one should be able
to mention a love for top instead of being forced to choose procps,
since one would only be exposed to the top binary, or find it to be
the only interesting binary in the procps package.
The voters in this list did do this, disregarding exceptions where
several chose apt instead of apt-get as favourite 'package manager',
for example.
There should probably be a vote on what categories should be
considered, instead of using Debian's menu entries, which doesn't look
suitable at all.
The ability to vote would be nice, just so that we are not limited by
bug reports on what direction Debian is taking. A lot of us enjoy
working with Debian so much that we feel a part of it, and this would
make this relationship a bit warmer...