Re: nvidia problems (Sid dist-upgrade)

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 04:58:02 +0100, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
> El Diumenge 29 Octubre 2006 20:41, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
> > I would try this:
>
> Thanks for this tutorial!
>
> Only one question: what's the reason for those new packages:
> linux-image-2.6.18-1-486 nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-1-486 with nvidia-glx
> nvidia-kernel-source upgrade ?

nvidia-glx version 1.0.8776 depends on nvidia-kernel-1.0.8776. Once you
auto-install the new nvidia kernel module with module-assistant you will
have a custom-built package which provides "nvidia-kernel-1.0.8776", so
everything should be fine. However, apt has no way of knowing that you
will build this module, therefore it tries to satisfy this dependency by
installing a suitable package from the standard Debian archives. (Your
old custom-built nvidia package provides "nvidia-kernel-1.0.8774",
therefore it cannot satisfy the dependency of the new module.) The
linux-image-* package is installed because the nvidia-kernel-* package
depends on it.

This is why I proposed building the new nvidia kernel module before
upgrading the nvidia-glx module. Anyway, the installation of the
additional packages will not "harm" your system in any way. You can
simply remove them again after you have built and installed the new
nvidia module for your custom kernel.

--
Regards,
          Florian