Re: iRiver Clix Media Player - How To Use with Debian?

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:52 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 22:16 -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> > I just bought a 2GB iRiver Clix media player as an upgrade from my old
> > CD-based mp3 player.  It works fine on my XP hardware testing box.
> > However, I need to get it working with Debian (both my Athlon 2500
> > desktop runing Kernel 2.6.15-1-k7, and my Turion 64 laptop running
> > kernel 2.6.17-1-amd64-k8).
>
> there are a billion different ways of setting up removable media. i
> suggest using udev.
>
> google for 'udev rules' and see if you can create a rule for your clix.
> look at the first hit.

I take it this is the link you were referring to?
http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

If so, it proved to be completely useless and even incomprehensible.

So anyway, here's a little more info on this problem.

First of all, with the iRiver plugged into my desktop instead of my
laptop, ls /dev shows three entries that weren't there before:

usbdev1.6_ep00
usbdev1.6_ep02
usbdev1.6_ep81

On the laptop, there's still nothing different.

Next, lsusb shows the following:

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:0840 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 4102:112a iRiver, Ltd.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0840:0098 Argosy Research, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 07cc:0200 Carry Computer Eng., Co., Ltd 6-in-1
Card Reader
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

And finally, running usbview, I get this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/Scarletdown/DU-USBView.jpg

(posting as a screenshot, since there is apparently no way to copy and
paste the text from usbview...Go figure.)

And lsusb and usbview show similar info on the laptop as well.  So
anyway, the iRiver is apparently seen as a USB mass storage device, but
I'm at a total loss still as to how to mount it so I can copy files to
and from it.  No corresponding /dev entry on the laptop (which is what I
need the most, since that is what I travel with, and I refuse to put XP
on it), and nothing in /dev that can actually be mounted as a drive.

I'm at a total loss here, and don't know what else to try.