Re: upgraded my debian testing system and now have font problems

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:30:00 -0700, tom arnall wrote:

> I upgraded my debian testing system y'day and now the type on many of the
> frame areas of diff' applications has been replaced by empty boxes. this is
> true on the frames of the gnome-terminal windows. gimp is unuseable because
> of the problem. and my login screen has only boxes for type on it. i'm
> running debian testing and gdm. when i do:
>
> 	pstree -p |grep X
>
> i get:
>
> 	|-gdm(4683)---gdm(4684)-+-Xorg(4701)

I would start with looking for error messages and warnings in the X log:
$ egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Furthermore, check .xsession-errors for font/rendering/X-related
messages.

Start gimp or another problematic application from the command line and
hope for output which helps to identify the source of the problem.

--
Regards,
          Florian