System/Bios Time

 Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. Our system's
time has been off by about 30 minutes for the last month or so. When I run
ntpdate and set the time we would get some wierd things happening on the
system (i.e. Service unavailable in apache, etc.) I would have to move the
time forward at least the 30 minutes again to have the system act
normally.

 This morning at 5:31 I shutdown the server to look at the bios time and
date. It showed the correct date but the time was 10:04. I set it to the
correct time of 5:31 and rebooted. When I checked the server time after
the reboot it said 1:04 am with the correct date. I used ntpdate to update
and everything is running normally.

 Can anyone shed some light on to why the system/bios time would differ
like that or why running ntpdate and setting the correct time would
affect the server as mentioned above?

Thanks,

Ed