RE: closing mailing lists (was: spamcop)

On Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:17 PM -0500, David Jardine wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 07:53:21PM -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:
>
> > [...]
>
> > I think the following would make Debian lists better for everyone:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > 3) allow users to temporarily turn off list mail
> >
> Once you've got used to how a mailing list works, which the above
> users presumably have, it's hardly a hassle to unsubscribe and then
> re-subscribe later.

That works for the vacation purpose, but that doesn't allow someone to
subscribe without getting all list traffic.  That inability is the main
reason for not requiring someone to validate their email address before
posting.  If my local prairie restoration club can make people subscribe
before posting, I don't see why Debian can't.  You want help with
invasive garlic mustard?  Better subscribe :)

--
Seth Goodman