Re: starting X fails: out of scan range

libre fan wrote:

Hello,

I have a Debian Etch+Sid and Xubuntu Dapper dual-boot. Last Friday I updated Debian (lot of xorg stuff was updated) and when I rebooted I got this message on the screen: out of scan range

Though  X is started (I typed startx on a terminal)  Wdm (my display
manager) doesn't load.

Is the message to do with the monitor config? Everyting worked fine before
hand -- I have had Debian-based distros for about three years now without
any hardware problems.

What can I do? Can you help me? perhaps I could downgrade: comment the sid
lines oin my sources.list, pat-get get update, uninstall x.org, reinstall it
from the Etch repositories?

There must be a simpler way. Run xorg config?

Many thanks in advance!

Sounds to me like the error your getting is because your monitor settings are not correct in your /etc/X/xorg.conf file. You probably replaced your config when you updated. Reconfiguring the xserver-xorg package ('sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg') might fix your problem.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque