Re: Machine dropout from modem?

On Saturday 23 September 2006 14:02, Mumia W.. shared these thoghts with us
all:
>--> On 09/23/2006 07:42 AM, M-L wrote:
>--> > On Saturday 23 September 2006 19:43, Mumia W.. shared this with us
> all: --> >>> On 09/23/2006 04:14 AM, M-L wrote:
>--> >>>> Using Debian Etch,
>--> >>>> Acer 3614WLCi laptop
>--> >>>> Maestro Woomera modem through a USB to RS232 cable.
>--> >>>>
>--> >>>> The modem is connected to the ISP but the system has dropped off
> the --> >>>> modem connection.
>--> >>>>
>--> >>>> The modem shows it's connected and yet the laptop isn't connected
> to --> >>>> it. I try to run "pon" again. Nothing. I try "poff" It tells me
> there --> >>>> is no connection running.
>--> >>>>
>--> >>>> I manually switch off the modem, switch it on again, the modem
> tells --> >>>> me it's intelligent. I type "pon" into a terminal, and the
> modem says --> >>>> dialling, and does so and connects again. The lappy
> picks it up, and --> >>>> is again connected.
>--> >>>> Something to do with PPP in Etch?
>--> >>>>
>--> >>>> Would appreciate any help.
>--> >>>>
>--> >>>> TIA,
>--> >>>> Charlie
>--> >>>
>--> >>> Can you talk to the modem using minicom?
>--> >>>
>--> >>> I often use minicom to help me test basic modem functionality, such
> as --> >>> the ability to send AT commands and receive modem responses. -->
> >>>
>--> >>> In minicom, you're typically talking to the modem, and if you say
> "AT" --> >>> to the modem, it should respond "OK"; if you say "ATI", the
> modem should --> >>> respond with its identification, for example,
> "SupraFax 33.6i" --> >>>
>--> >>> --
>--> >>> paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net
>--> >>>
>--> > Yes. The modem answers and connects, but the system doesn't read it.
> Connected --> > on minicom, and browsers can't get onto the net, and
> nothing else either. --> >
>--> > Thanks for your help.
>--> >
>-->
>--> Check if the firewall is blocking it.
>-->
>--> I use pppd to connect to the Internet. Some people use pppoe. If you use
>--> the debug option of pppd (-debug) you'll get debugging output sent to
>--> /var/log/syslog.
>-->
>--> I also use 'chat' to make the initial connection between pppd and the
>--> modem device. Chat has a verbose option (-v) that sends chat's input and
>--> output strings to /var/log/messages. If you use wvdial in place of chat,
>--> see if it has a verbose or debugging option and use it.
>-->
>-->
>-->
>--> --
>--> paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net
> [...]
Thanks for that. I have to admit I didn't think to look in my syslog and see
what was mentioned there. I will a bit later when I am back on the other
machine.

But the modem connects all right and remains connected. Is connected to this
machine also running etch at the moment. Just pppd has dropped off the modem
a couple of times lately. It doesn't happen all that often, but it happens
and I thought someone else might have experienced some sort of behaviour like
this as well. Like the Chinaman said when his horse died, it's never done
that before.

I will try the pppd-debug option. Have seen it there in the past and never
thought I needed it. Have had this modem for almost ten years and no
problems, had it checked through my ISP just recently. I should have it
connecting a little slower, according to the ISP, but this modem is built to
make the most out of copper line.

Only since Etch has this been happening and only for the last couple of weeks
upgrades? So I just wondered?

Thanks for your help, sorry for being so verbose.

Be well,
Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524