Re: Please help me installing Debian!

On Thursday 21 September 2006 03:40, Wahyu Aris Darmono shared this with us
all:
>--> Linux operating system is really new for me. But after
>--> collected distro comparison from various sources, I
>--> decided to choose Debian.
>-->
>--> I have i386 Debian 3.1 rel. 2 Sarge DVD.  I tried to
>--> install it onto my Acer Travelmate 2303 NLCi (laptop).
>-->  The laptop features are : Intel Celeron M 340
>--> processor (1.5 GHz, 400 MHz FSB, 512 L2 cache), 40 GB
>--> HDD, 256 MB DDR, DVD/CD-RW combo and 802.11 b/g
>--> wireless LAN.
>-->
>--> I tried to install 3 times (automatic installation
>--> method by pressing ENTER only). Failed 3 times in
>--> network configuration (because there was a problem
>--> with DHCP). Also, after reboot and began installing
>--> from the harddisk where Debian system exist I found:
>--> ............................................
>--> Code: 8b 53 24 31 ff 83 7a 08 00 75 0d 66 83 a0 16 02
>--> 00 00 fb e9/etc/rcS.d/S36 discover: line 204:  389
>--> Segmentation fault    modprobe$MODULE
>--> usb-uhci disabled in configuration.
>--> <6>usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
>--> usb.c: registered new driver hub
>--> usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 09:05:48 Aug 17
>--> 2005
>--> usb-uhci.c: High bandwith mode enabled
>-->
>--> and then the installation process stopped!
>-->
>--> Guys, please help me! What should I do?  I really want
>--> Debian in my laptop!
>-->
>--> Viva open source, viva Debian!

On both my Acer Aspire lappys have installed from DVD/CD's [slow dialup net
connection] Sarge and Etch.

On the earlier one there were a few things that didn't go well. One thing was
that I had to specify vga=788 otherwise I couldn't read the monitor. So at
the command prompt:- expert vga=788

With the same lappy. If I specified that i wanted PCMCIA located at the start.
It froze the system solid. Turn off at the mains and start again from
scratch. If selected during hardware detection process, worked a treat.

Once the system was installed, on the above lappy during the first 5 boots, it
would freeze twice, turn off at the mains and reboot. It would freeze once
the first time and then get through the boot after turning it on again. On
the second occasion when it froze, it would freeze once, turn it on and get
past that point on the next boot and freeze again. Turn on again and would
boot up.

This happened on every install, and I installed that system quite a few times
[at least 8] to get a hang of Debian and the way it worked. But after those
two freezes during the first boots, never did it again.

I tried to install Sarge with a 2.6 kernel without any joy, all manner of
errors. The 2.4 kernel went as above. It didn't write a few files properly,
which needed to be edited by hand, with the help of people from this list,
who kindly helped me troubleshoot the problems; which were causing my GUI to
work badly.

Etch installed without any problems, except the installer didn't finish on
this one either, and I had to enter quite a few things by hand [same as
mentioned above] once the system booted up. Like the passwords again, system
name again, /etc/hosts, etc., etc..

On the new Acer lappy, Etch installer didn't complete. Had to edit some files
by hand as above, but didn't have the boot lockups as the older machine.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524