sarge upgrade and preempt kernel

Hello All

Just did a sarge -> etch upgrade.

Aptitude update , upgrade complained about libfam0 problems and stopped.

apt-get worked.  Although I have in the passed disabled inet using the
documentation on securing debian howto and this seemed to cause problems with
the upgrade netbase-inetd stopped with errors and caused ppp, pppconfig,
cupsys  to fail to configure.  Installing openbsd-inet cured that problem.

I had upgraded because I wanted a preemptive kernel just to find it isnt
preemptive.  Is there likely to be a preemptive kernel available when etch is
ready.  I know I can compile it myself, I just feel there is a need for it to
be ready and available out of the box straight from install.  Obviously I
will compile one myself but for newcomers they may look elsewhere, which
would be a shame.

On my hardware a fully functional desktop is still a problem (eg music and
video) without a preemptive kernel so if debian is aiming at this sector then
a preempt kernel would be most welcome.

Thanks Dave

Please CC me on any replies.