Re: How to measure stability?

James Westby wrote:
On (16/09/06 18:51), Bruno Buys wrote:
    Is there any way to objectively measure stability among debian
flavours? I mean, does anybody know of a webpage or project or something
to build statistics on bug reports? I'm asking this because every now
and then we have threads asking how much unstable unstable is, and the
replies are always like 'depends', or 'your mileage may vary' and such.
    If a there's a good soul somewhere keeping statistics of broken
stuff and bugs grouped by packages and flavours, I'd  REALLY like to see it.

How about this project?
http://brion.inria.fr/anla/index

edos has a utility for checking for uninstallable packages very quickly.
edos-debcheck is the package name I believe.
They are using it to generate statistics for the Debian archives. They
use a weather motif to indicate how many packages are uninstallable at
present. For instance here is the past performance of unstable
http://brion.inria.fr/anla/health?bundle=U&architecture=i386

Interesting. But this should be weighted by the popularity of the package. E.g. if xpaint is broken, so what, but if xorg is broken, disaster.

compared with testing

http://brion.inria.fr/anla/health?bundle=T&architecture=i386

It doesn't work on bug reports as you wanted, but it can give an idea
about how badly unstable is currently broken with regard to
installation.

Or how about the number of RC bug reports against sid and etch? Gives
some impression of how close to release etch is, although it has it's
problems.

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/graph.png

James