Re: Backports

On 9/7/06, Guillaume <silencer@free-4ever.net> wrote:
Michele Della Marina a écrit :
> On 9/7/06, Guillaume <silencer@free-4ever.net> wrote:
>> Michele Della Marina a écrit :
>> > Hi all!
>> > I need a howto and some documentation for using backports in debian
>> > stable. Could you suggest me something, please?
>> > I've just seen www.backports.org but some parts are under costruction
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> Just go the page "instructions".
>>
>> They direct link is here:
>> http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
>>
>> Regards
>> Guillaume
>
> Yes, Thanks but I've already seen it. I would like if possible learn
> more about backports: how use it, understand dependences and possible
> problems using backports, some documentation.

The way to use it cleanly is describe in this page !

For most backports, they are re-complied with the dependencies of sarge,
so there is no need to upgrade the dependencies but for some packages,
you will need to get their dependencies from the backports !

To check that, just enable the packages you want and with aptitude or
apt-cache, check its dependencies then enable the needed dependencies.

There is no more documentation then in /usr/share/doc as usual.

About problems... I'm using lots of backports on differents servers:
Nagios 2, MySQL 5, PHP 5, PostgreSQL 8, Cacti, etc...

I've never have any problems.

When there is a vulnerability, usually the backports are upgraded to fix it.

I hope it helps.

OK. Thanks, this is very useful. I like to know what happens before
run a command :)

Regards
Guillaume

--
Guillaume
E-mail: silencer_<at>_free-4ever_<dot>_net