Re: Backports

Le jeudi 07 septembre 2006 à 16:16 +0200, Michele Della Marina a écrit :
> On 9/7/06, Guillaume <silencer@free-4ever.net> wrote:
> > Michele Della Marina a écrit :
> > > Hi all!
> > > I need a howto and some documentation for using backports in debian
> > > stable. Could you suggest me something, please?
> > > I've just seen www.backports.org but some parts are under costruction
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Just go the page "instructions".
> >
> > They direct link is here:
> > http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions
> >
> > Regards
> > Guillaume
>
> Yes, Thanks but I've already seen it. I would like if possible learn
> more about backports: how use it, understand dependences and possible
> problems using backports, some documentation.

I don't usually use pinning. I browse the package list in aptitude. When
I'm viewing the details of a package, if there is a backport available,
I have the choice between the two versions. I highlight the one I want
and hit "i", and dependencies are taken care of automagically. By the
way, I can also highlight the backports' version and hit enter: then I
can see the details for the backports version, including which
dependencies will be pulled from backports if I install this package.

It's easy to know whether a version is from backports: there's "bpo" in
the version.

Regards, T.