Re: Horrible mouse problems under Sid with 2.6.17, latest xorg

(Sorry for the duplicate, Ken.  I'm using Yahoo! Mail while my primary system
is down.  I didn't mean to send a copy directly to you.)

--- Kenward Vaughan <kay_jay@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 03:31:18PM -0400, David Bruce wrote:
> > For some time I have had problems with the mouse becoming erratic
> > (losing synch?) and generating a flurry of click events, generally
> > opening a bunch of Konq windows and inserting random cuts/pastes and
> > other click events into whatever I happen to be working on (most
> > commonly coding with KDevelop).  I cannot reliably reproduce the
> > behavior - usually starts a few minutes into session and seems to
> > perhaps occur mainly when I have the mouse over the bottom of the
> > screen at the Kicker bar.  Usually, but not always, the mouse becomes
> > unresponsive after the unwanted activity subsides.  Restarting X with
> > Ctrl-Alt-Backspc does not restore normal mouse behavior.
> >
> > My system - home built Athlon 2400 PC, Mitsumi scroll mouse.
> > 	  - Linux 2.6.17 source from debian, built by me with make-kpkg
> > 	  - no power management enabled in kernel config.
> > 	  - kernel config mouse support for PS/2
> > 	  - ImPS/2 selected in xorg.conf; scroll enabled
> >
> > My wife is begging me to "get rid of that @#$% Debian thing" and go
> > back to Windows.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I've had the same on and off, similar system, USB mouse.  My xorg.conf
> file has this:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
> #       Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
>
> I changed xorg's idea of a mouse to the ImPS/2 protocol and double
> checked gpm, which for me runs with
> 	/usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t autops2 -r 40
> Don't know if this will help you or not...
>
> Did you check for bug reports?

I'm running Sarge, but the last time I had the exact same problem, replacing
my mouse with a new $5 optical mouse solved the problem for me (if config
changes dont work, of course).

Marc Shapiro