Re: Thunderbird does not show attachments any longer

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:46:31 +0200, Alexander Sack wrote:

> Look here [1] on how to get a fix for this. The fixed package will be
> rolled out as soon as all architectures build.
>
> BTW, we need more testers for security releases. Just keep the apt
> lines mentioned in that bug and report issues to me or file a
> bug. This would help a lot, thx.

Sure, done ! - Download takes hours, so I'll report back when it is ready.
I'll keep the line(s), as well.

Very good job on your side; and things *can* break.

What is not good, though, is the lack of information; somehow. I googled
intensely; read all archives, lists. Nothing. Didn't think of a bug
report. Invested > 1 hour. No solution. Wrote to the list; had some good
hints (meaning: more people involved - kind of uselessly).
IMHO, there must be a repository, a list, a means to get a message like
this one out. There are and were hundreds of 'broken for me' on this
list; if not thousands. The most obvious thing to do, is a list of some
kind that confirms 'broken' or 'currently broken' and finally 'unbroken'.
Would save everyone plenty of time to consult such a list !: If something
doesn't work, consult it, find out someone (maintainer) confirms
breakage. Done. Simply wait for the 'unbroken'. One might write a small
application with tags; an info on status like mail in a systray; and so
on and so forth.
To me this list preferably came in parallel to the package update(s);
maybe as extra file:

# apt-get update
Hit.....Get.... Hit .....[....]
Fetched 383kB in 1m31s (4171B/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done
Of the packages installed on your system, mozilla-thunderbird is currently
marked as broken since Aug-28-2006.
Of the packages installed on your system, myphoto has been marked as
unbroken since Sep-02-2006.

or similar. Would have saved me plenty of time. Multiplied by tens, who
were doing similar inquisitions as myself.

What do you think ?

Uwe