pppd hangs silently

Hi all

I am running Debian Sarge (Linux 2.4) on an Intel
Pentium III. It acts as a gateway for our LAN and
connects to the WAN through PPPoE. pppd and rp-pppoe
do the work.

Everything works fine but every other day pppd
would hang. This occurs for seemingly no reason at
intervals of about a day. I then have to do a
'ifdown dsl-provider; ifup dsl-provider' and
everything works perfectly well again.

I can find no indications as to why this is
happening in the log files, even though I have
turned on 'debug' in the configuration.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

PS: I am appending my pppd configuration

my-ip-address:
defaultroute
replacedefaultroute
hide-password