Re: where is glxgears now ?

Matej Cepl <ceplm@seznam.cz> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > That only works if you've already installed mesa-utils.
>
> That's not true -- it works whenever you run apt-get/aptitude update. Of
> course, it's just sheer luck that glxgears are mentioned in mesa-utils
> description, for this (searching where particular program is coming from)
> http://packages.debian.org or apt-file would be more robust alternative.
>
> Matěj

Of course, but I noticed that many such cumulative packages list the
contained utilities in their description. Not that I was
consciously thinking about it, it must have been in the back of my mind.

Besides, apt-cache was just the first search I tried, because it's the
fastest. apt-file is not installed by default (though I have it now
since packages.d.o was down), and you have to make sure its database is
up to date. packages.d.o would have been a bit faster.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)