esound locking sound

Hi,
 I am having some difficulty getting sound perfectly right.

 The esd or esound daemon is hogging /dev/dsp etc, causing
 game sound and ogg123 to fail. I have to kill esd manually and
 start the alsamixergui application and enable channels
 before games/music will play any sound.

 I'm trying to run a gnome desktop, which depends on esound.
 But of course I want to run other stuff.

 How is this supposed to be configured? Are there any decent
 guides for this?

 Thanks in advance.