Re: Meta Destkop packgae (when installing)

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 10:36:40AM -0400, André Allavena wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Is there a meta package corresponding to the high level "desktop"
> package that one has the choice to install when doing a complete,
> froms scratch install?

You could do a couple of things. You could rerun 'tasksel' which is
the program that is run during installation that allows you to pick
high level options like "desktop" or "server". That gets you both
gnome and kde (I believe). or you could install one of the following
meta-packages:

gnome   -- the gnome2 desktop environment (somewhat mac-like, simpler
interfaces, tends to hide a lot of the control from the user with the
idea to make it easier to use.)

kde     -- the kde desktop environment (sort of windows-like, but much
more powerful. a slick sophisticated interface with many readily
apparent configuration options allowing easy customization)

xfce4   -- my current favorite, the xfce desktop. This looks a little
bit like gnome, but is MUCH lighterweight and is pretty responsive.

there may be more, but that should get you started. note the above
descriptions are my opinion only and should not really be trusted. :)