Re: Installing Sarge from source

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 02:34:01PM -0700, Shadow wrote:
> Hi, All.
>
> A crazy idea came to me to install Debian Sarge 3.1r2 from source.
> I bought that 3DVD set, but found that there is no installer on
> those disks...
>
> Q1: in general, what is the process of installing debian from source?
There isn't one. To bootstrap "source only" you must first have a
compiler which requires a working compiler which requires a bootstrap
... so you need a running Linux system somewhere. [You _can_ build on
another Unix or even Windows but it's significantly more involved -
building the GNU toolchain takes a fair while even if you can.]

Linux from scratch assumes a running Linux system somewhere ...

> Q2: in the readme on the first disk I read that I should start the
> installation from Binary CD #1...
> So I should also have the binary DVD-Set or maybe just the first disk
> of the set?
> Q3: can I use my Debian Sarge 3.1r0a binary set for that?
Yes, of course. Install the base system and go from there.