Re: apt-get md5sum error on etch system

José Alburquerque wrote:

My problem is that when I run 'apt-get update' I get these errors:

Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz MD5Sum mismatch Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz MD5Sum mismatch Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/source/Sources.gz MD5Sum mismatch
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory) W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I'm replying to myself because I believe I fixed this problem on my own: I did a little research and found that the repository information that apt-get uses is found in /etc/apt/apt.sources. I changed my debian mirror from http://http.us.debian.org to ftp://ftp.debian.org and this fixed my problem entirely. (I got the list of mirrors from debian.org). This leads me to believe that there may be something wrong with http://http.us.debian.org. (By the way, I experienced the same errors with http://ftp.us.debian.org). Should I report this somewhere? Thanks.

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque