~/.xsession crashes xserver

I placed into ~/user a file .xsession that even without any content
causes the xserver to crash for user (root has no problem running
xserver).

I find it difficult to interpret ~/user/.xsession-errors, but it does
contain the line: "g_object_ref: assertion 'object->refcount > 0'
failed". I needed the .xsession file to hold the lines:

	xset s off
	xset -dpms

On my current machine, I have no problems with an .xsession file being
present, although I'm not using any desktop manager (just IceWM).

--

       Haines Brown
         KB1GRM