Re: Howto add firewire printer ???

* Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> [2006:07:09:23:19:53+0100] scribed:
<snip />

> You need to know the destination hostname/IP address and queue name.
> Some printers will be using ethernet-over-firewire, and you treat it
> just like a networked IPP print server (like another CUPS server).
>
>   ipp://servername/printers/queuename
>
> for a CUPS server, for example.  Most of these networked servers allow
> you to point your web browser at them to find out what the URI to use
> is (and to do other configuration stuff).

Perhaps, I have had too much sun this weekend; but, I am missing
something here.

This is attached to the local system; so, is your "servername" simply
"localhost"?

How do I find the "queuename"?

This printer is NOT listed here:

    <http://www.pwg.org/ipp/IPP-Products.html#embedded>

Does this mean that it does NOT support ipp?

> > I do NOT even see "scsi" as an option.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> "dpkg-reconfigure cupsys", and on the question that lets you select
> the backend to use, make sure the scsi option is selected.

Done.

> Once selected, try running
>
>   /usr/lib/cups/backend/scsi

    # sudo /usr/lib/cups/backend/scsi
    direct scsi "Unknown" "SCSI Printer"

> (as root).  It should scan for all available SCSI printers, including
> SCSI-over-FireWire and print a list.  Once you see that, it will also
> show up when you choose "add printer" (since this is it does this
> behind the scenes to find the available printers).

And, yet, dmesg has this:

    ieee1394: Node added: ID:BUS[0-00:1023]  GUID[000048000034be7b]
    ieee1394: Host added: ID:BUS[0-01:1023]  GUID[0060b00000186806]
    sbp2: $Rev: 1306 $ Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
    ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io=1)
    ieee1394: sbp2: Try serialize_io=0 for better performance
    scsi0 : SCSI emulation for IEEE-1394 SBP-2 Devices

I really appreciate your participation in this.  All suggestions are
welcome; and will be applied, as I am able.

Thank you.

--
Best Regards,

helices