What is "semantic"?

Something has crept up on me (running Sarge with ReiserFS and kernel
2.6.8-2-686) that I should have been aware of, but wasn't: Semantic.

I find that, apparently at random, files are created in certain
directories with the name semantic.cache. It appears to make the
directory into an object.

A search on google did not lead me to any clear explanation. Something
about desktop development having to do with treating directories as
objects. But it's all unclear.

When was Semantic introduced, and what is its purpose? Is it
associated with ext3 as well as ReiserFS? With the newer kernels?

Why do some directories have a cache file, but not others?

Why do I need the semantic.cache files?

--

       Haines Brown
         KB1GRM