Re: diagnosing hard-locks [was memtest+ won't load]

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 04:53:16PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 11:11:39AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:36:52PM -0400, Michael Marsh wrote:
> > >
> > > I actually had a suspiciously similar problem recently.  A couple of
> > > times, everything just froze.  The power button was the only thing
> > > that would respond.  memtest86+ showed no problems.  I figured it
> > > might be a bad block in swap, so I ran the START self-diagnostics on
> > > the drive.  The only effect that had was to do something bad to the
> > > drive R/W head, reminding me that I really should be doing backups.
> >
> > so IOW, don't do that? ;)
>
> NONONO.  IOW, make a backup.

yea yea yea I know...

here's a question, what's the best way to back up a winxp partition?
I've got hdb1 as an old, much neglected, but very necessary winxp
partition with the rest of the drive devoted to deb. I need to back
that puppy up and have it totally intact to avoid
stupid-can't-cope-with-changes-win-problems. I'm guessing the easiest
best down and dirty way is to just dd that thing onto one of my
network shares along with notes about its exact parition
configuration. then if I hose something in this diagnosis process, I
can just dd it back. All my deb stuff is properly, for my uses, backed
up already.