[OT]laptop memory and slot

I have dell inspiron 600m. It stopped working. It was found that by removing memory from one slot, it starts working. The same slot was fixed with other working memory module. Even then it didn't work. This finaly indiactes it is the slot problem. Hence to increase memory, I had to throw old memory sticks and buy new single chip 512 MB stick. But problem is my old stick was 266 mhz speed PC2100. Now what is available in market is 333 mhz PC2700 or Pc3200. How to know whether this new stick will work in my laptop as seller will not break package of new stick?
I will be use thankful for nay guidance fro other users of i600m or hardware experts?
--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/