Re: Broken packages in Debian Sid

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:26:56AM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 6/25/06, Wasyl <wasyl.w@network.lviv.ua> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >When i want to install a package often i see such result:
> >
> >[~] % sudo apt-get install rhythmbox
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> >requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> >distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> >or been moved out of Incoming.
> >
> >Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> >the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> >that package should be filed.
> >The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> >
> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   rhythmbox: Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-good but it is not going to
> >be installed
> >E: Broken packages
> >
> >[~] % sudo apt-get install  gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> >Reading Package Lists... Done
> >Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> >requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> >distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> >or been moved out of Incoming.
> >
> >Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> >the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> >that package should be filed.
> >The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> >
> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good: Depends: libxdamage1 but it is not going
> >to be installed
> >E: Broken packages
>
> Try aptitude from Etch/Sid, which has a nice dependency resolution
> feature; It will try various ways in which you can resolve dependency
> problems till such a point that the problem can't be fixed, in which
> case you should really file bugs...

I find the suggestions I get from aptitude usually get in my way; it
seems mostly to want to undo the installations/upgrades I'm asking for,
and I don't seem to be able to get to the proposed list of packages to
be installed/upgraded/removed/broken without accepting its suggestions.
Otherwise I might be able to resolve some of it myself.

Maybe what I'm asking for isn't possible, but I find its suggestions
just muddy the water and make it hard to investigate.

- hendrik