Re: Problems with Kdeprint and Cups

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:34:51 +0200, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a debian Etch installed from scratch and I'm experiencing
> problems when printing.
>
> I'm using:
>     KDM window manager
>     cupsys 1.2.1-2
>     kdeprint 4.3.5.3-2
>
> Kdeprint refuse to use cups as printing system saying that he cannot
> retrieve the printer's list.
>
> Some applications (firefox, openoffice) don't print and see only a
> "generic printer" instead of the  printer's list.

I had the same problem a few days ago on Sid. I could solve it by
commenting out the line

Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, so that it only had "Listen localhost:631".
After restarting cupsys everything was fine again.

For your version of cupsys you have to check both /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
(it should be commented out in there already) and
/etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf.

I don't know if this is a proper solution or just a workaround for some
problem in kprinter. If that line is not commented out kprinter will
pick "/var/run/cups/cups.sock" as the printer address and it seems
unable to use this socket instead of port 631.

--
Regards,
          Florian