Re: [testing] HELP - lost X

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:11:26PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> Is it possible to remove opera with "dpkg -r opera"? I remember at least
> one other case on this list where the presence of opera turned the Xorg

I tried doing that, but the result was an attempt to remove nearly
everything kde-related.

> transition into a dependency nightmare. I think this is because opera
> puts files into /usr/X11R6/bin and these files block the upgrade because

It puts exactly one file 'opera' and that file is a shell script; the
real files go into somewhere under /usr/lib. Hell if I know why they did
it that way. I'm a bit of a purist (well sort of) and I've maintained
for a long time that the *only* files that belong in /usr/X11R6/bin are
binaries provided by X itself - stuff like xeyes,xterm, that sort of
thing.

I attempted to move opera out of the way, but still obtained a
warning/error telling me about the opera files.

> For everyone else who has not done the upgrade yet: It is probably a
> good idea to uninstall some non-Debian packages first, then do the

Good point. If Opera really is the culprit, by all mrans remove it prior
to the upgrade - I'm sure people will have fewer headaches.

The good thing is that the upgrade issue is solved (thanks to forcing
the removal of x11-common) and I got X back, and then did an aptitude
install kde to make sure kde was still there - it certainly seemed that
a lot of it got removed as a side-effect of the upgrade.

> aptitude search '~i!~Odebian'

Neat trick. Brought up a slew of packages :)

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.