Re: Installing kernel upgrade from 2.4 to 2.6

Hi,

On 6/22/06, Sam Rosenfeld <sam1@speakeasy.net> wrote:
I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.4.27 linux kernel.  I have tried to
install a new kernel with: "aptitude install kernel-image-2.6-i686" but it
does not replace my old kernel (2.4.27), even after a cold start.  I don't
feel entirely comfortable with Debian, so I'd appreciate any help.

<snip>

As Chris said, run update-grub to notify grub that a new kernel has to
be included.

When you install a kernel-image, the bootloader (configuration) is not
automatically updated. This is controlled by the contents of the file
/etc/kernel-img.conf. More details about this configuration can be
found in the kernel-img.conf(5) man page.

You might want to look at that file so that you don't have such
problems in future. I personally never felt like configuring it, so
won't be able to help you much. But you should look at
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/examples/sample.kernel-img.conf for a
sample configuration.

Hope this helps.

Srinidhi.