Re: Can I use Ubuntu packages?

On 6/11/06, Redefined Horizons <redefined.horizons@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it possible to use Ubuntu packages on my Debian system? Or is it a
bad idea to mix the two?

Thanks,

Scott Huey

I have used Ubuntu packages a few times when I was overly impatient
in wanting a new version of a package. Sometimes you can't use an
Ubuntu package if it depends on different versions of other packages
than what Debian has. Other times they install fine. I only ever had
one or two packages from Ubuntu at a time and they where user level
apps.

I think you might run into problems trying to have a significant
percentage of mixed packages. And personally, I would not try to use
the Ubuntu version of say, udev or kdelibs or anything like that. I am
trying to remember what Ubuntu packages I have used... Amarok is one.
I can't remember any of the others off hand. I didn't use any of them for
a really long time, after a few month or so (at most) the Debian packages
caught up. All in all its probably a bad idea and not worth it, but hey,
at least it makes things more exciting :-)

Cheers,

Kelly Clowers