Re: motorola driver

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:12:39PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 04:32:25PM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 07:34:35PM +0430, ghasem momeni wrote:
> > > I've a motorola L6 phone and I need a winxp driver.
> > > Would you mail me your driver please?
> > > Thanks before.
> >
> > One wonders what you think the work 'debian' refers to...
> >
> > If you are uing XP, then you are on the wrong list.
> >
> > If you would rather not have to pay for your software, then
> > you are using the wrong operatng system...
>
> That said, is there a motorola L6 phone driver for Debian?
> And what *is* a driver for a telephone, anyway"

I think the term 'driver' is used fairly loosely in the windows world,
probably meaning 'a piece of software needed to access a piece of
hardware'.

If so, then I have sucessfully used 'moto4lin' with my motorola C380,
using the USB cable from my MP3 player.

The actual drivers needed were already in the kernel. I gather it
uses /dev/ttyACM0 - at least that is the config setting that
makes it work - I don't see it in /dev when I look manually.

It lets me browse the filesystem on the phone, upload/download audio clips
and also graphical images.

Unfortunately I don't know much about phones, and there is a lot of stuff
which I really just don't know the purpose of. Even using the basic functions
of the phone is rather trial and error, as my instruction book is in Russian.

So far I have yet to work out how to do what I would really like to do,
which is backup text messages and phonebook data.

Most useful would be connecting to the Internet, but I really need to
subscribe to a service to experiment with that - and don't really want
to pay for a service unless I know it will work with Linux :-/

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the L6, so can't comment on the
appropriate software to use there.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com