Help really needed: Formatted / partition by accident.

I was having trouble with my monowall router running off a compact flash. I decide to reinstall the monowall boot image onto the CF card. In the process I must have mistyped and accidentally wrote the image to my boot partition i.e. /dev/sda1. The machine now boots into monowall instead of Grub.

Using Google, I can only find articles or HOWTO's on recovering a corrupt or overwritten master boot record. When I did the initial installation with the latest the net install cd I chose the default desktop partition scheme, which I believe (if I am not mistaken) was /, /usr, and a home partitions. / would have my kernels, root directory and grub.

So my question is, how do I proceed? I can use a rescue CD to boot into the system and mount /, but how would I reinstall what would normally be in /? Do I do a reinstall and skip formatting / home?

Any help at all would be appreciated!