Re: arts/ALSA problem after unstable upgrade

On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 23:47:54 -0700, Adam Collins wrote:
> On Saturday 27 May 2006 21:24, David R. Litwin wrote:
> > Logical: You (most probably) have only one repository for Sid (don't
> > see why you'd need more) and this one has but one version of each
> > package. Therefore, you may wish to use the manual solution: I found
> > it very easy. Don't be alarmed by the statements that various other
> > packages won't work: you are installing an other version of that which
> > you take out.
>
> Ok, this makes sense.  I'm coming from the Gentoo world where emerge lets
> you choose from many different versions of each package.  I've seen
> screenshots with aptitude where multiple package versions are shown, too,
> so I just assumed I was missing out on something.  Thanks for the
> clarification.

You can add more lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list to include the
testing and the stable branch. That is quite handy for quick downgrades
when one of the packages in Sid has a problem. If you ever had the older
version installed you can also "dpkg -i" the corresponding .deb file
from /var/cache/apt/archives (unless you set up your system such that
the package cache is cleaned out regularly.)

--
Regards,
          Florian