Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 10:17:16 -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> George Borisov wrote:

[...]

> > I think it already is like the dist-upgrade option? After all, it does
> > install new and remove unwanted dependencies.
>
> According to 'man aptitude':
> upgrade - Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version.
> Installed packages will not be removed unless they are unused (see the
> section "Managing Automatically Installed Packages" in the aptitude
> reference manual); packages which are not currently installed will not
> be installed.  If a package cannot be upgraded without violating these
> constraints, it will be kept at its current version.
>
> So 'aptitude upgrade' is like 'apt-get upgrade'.  But there is no
> 'dist-upgrade' option for aptitude.  I don't get it...  How can I see,
> in aptitude (interactive), a full dist-upgrade?

I have the impression that for interactive aptitude "U" followed by "g"
is more or less equivalent to the "dist-upgrade" option from the command
line. I have certainly observed it acting much more "aggressive" than a
mere "upgrade": It removes packages blocking an upgrade and installs new
dependencies. Sometimes, though, it offers you a range of options for
conflict resolution, some of which are more "gentle".

/usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/en/ch02s01s02.html does not explicitly say
that "U" corresponds to a dist-upgrade, but it states that all
upgradable packages will be marked for an upgrade (unless the user put
them on hold). To me that sounds like "g" does not have much choice other
than attempting the equivalent of a dist-upgrade every time it is
invoked after "U".

(I am using aptitude 0.4.1-1 which is in Sid and Etch.)

--
Regards,
          Florian