Re: Apt-get upate problem

John O'Hagan wrote:

[ ... ]

Unless my logic is askew, this means that the problem is not the file size or type, nor the repository, nor any problem with the integrity or "downloadability" (TM!) of the files. AFAICT, that only leaves apt-get itself as the culprit. Would this be correct?

But what could be wrong with apt-get such that it fails to deal with two particular list files only?

Maybe I should purge and reinstall apt, but is this possible? Seems risky! (I've already tried apt-get install --reinstall and dpkg-reconfigure.)
[...]
Just a thought - have you tried using the 'aptitude' command instead of 'apt-get'?

   # aptitude update

Another thought - it might be worth checking that there is enough free space on the partition.

Chris.