Re: dhcp, router and debian

Alle Meije Wink wrote:

[ ... ]

The thing is, after my computer halts (and no wireless connections are
in use), I usually switch off the whole box by switching off the power
socket. So when I fire up the system, the modem + router are usually
just starting as well.

[ ... ]

This is the cause of your problem. This is how booting seems to work. During boot, Debian starts running the MTA (Mail Transport Agent) which is Exim4 in a default installation. It is looking for the network connection - this will be the internet. If your ethernet card connects immediately to the internet, Exim4 will start seamlessly. Otherwise, you will have to wait a minute or two until Debian gives up trying the connection and starts Exim4 anyway.

I usually switch off the whole box by switching off the power
socket.

This is not a good idea with any system - you could easily get disc corruption. Always shutdown normally using the display manager command button (in gdm, kdm, xdm) in X, shutdown command or ctrl-alt-del in a console.

Chris.