Re: Problem with aspell checking text in greek

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 11:42:27AM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Eftaxiopoulos Dimitrios wrote:
> > I have tried to spell check several Latex files written in greek. I use kile.
> > It generally finds the mistakes but it highlights an irrelevant portion of
> > text, usually portions from two words, close to the wrong word. It highlights
> > at the same line, a few words before the wrong one. The replacements it
> > suggests are generally correct, but I cannot use them since other portions of
> > text will be replaced. So I do the corrections manually, by looking in the
> > area of the highlight, trying to find the misspelled word and correct it by
> > moving the cursor there. Not comfortable.
> >
> > The texts I spellcheck are written in ISO-8859-7 encoding. I use sarge,
> > stable, 2.6.8.
> >

> If I recall correctly, aspell has a "tex/latex" mode which will cause it
> to ignore the markup.  Would that help your problem?

At least in unstable, you don't have to do anything special to invoke
that mode if you run it on a '.tex' file.  I don't think that's the
problem though, I think it's that it's finding the incorrect word but
highlighting the wrong word on the line.  I would suggest creating a
test file with a known misspelling and seeing if aspell corrects the
right portion of the text.  Either way, I'd check for bug reports on the
subject and potential work-arounds.
http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/aspell
is a good place to start.

--