Re: Xorg upgrade: xdm fails, xterm can't change fonts?

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:56:39 -0400
Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I still have problems with
> xterm.  For instance, colors don't work right.  I get messages like "xterm:
> cannot allocate color gray50".  I tried rxvt, but it says 'rxvt: can't load
> color "Black"' and fails to load.
>
> I suspected that a missing rgb.txt was the problem there, but even now that
> it exists, rxvt and xterm misbehave.

Sorry for the missing parts of the thread - but the subject line pretty
much covers that.. my problem is that after the upgrade xterms no longer seem to obey the app-default color settings... i can get a gray90 background by doing

#xterm -bg gray90

or by adding

*VT100*foreground: black
*VT100*background: gray90

to /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm

but it seems from an strace of xterm that /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color is no longer checked... I looked through the last 30 days of package changelogs and didn't see this noted... bug report time?

Shawn Lamson
madzimambo@optonline.net