Setting keyboard preferences in Gnome (etch) makes system hang up and prevents loging in from GDM

Hello all,

After recent etch upgrade (27 April, Mark all upgrades -> Apply in
Synaptic) I could not log in from GDM as a normal user, however could
log in as root from GDM, and could log in as a normal user from console.

The problem is related to keyboard layout.
After I've deleted a normal user and created it again, I could log in
again.
But when I added Lithuanian keyboard layout using Desktop->Preferences
->Keyboard, the system hung up, the only way to get any response
was turning the power of and on.  And I could not log in from GDM as a
normal user anymore.

No need even to add a layout. After changing, for example, Group
Shift/Lock behavior the session is terminated, and GDM login screen
appears.

I can repeat this behavior as many times as I (don't) want.

Software:
Debian Release: testing
Kernel: Linux 2.6.15-8
Gnome 2.14.0
xserver-xorg 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6
gnome-applets 2.12.3-1

Would be glad to provide more info, but don't know where to look for
it :-). It's a first time that I get such a problem in Debian, and it's
a first time I cannot find a solution in Google, forums etc.

Any idea (or pointer) how to fix this?

Andrius