Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org> wrote:

> For example, if the licensing restrictions on the downloadable firmware for
> a particular network adapter prevent it from being included on the install
> CD, then perhaps the install CD can be made to look for additional software
> on a USB pen that can be used by the installer to provide license restricted
> software. Or perhaps we can find a way to make it easier for people to
> avoid buying hardware that relies on license restricted software in the
> first place.

IMHO, just as Joey Hess pointed out (in his missing post), there are
lots of efforts going into this direction. Just install msttcorefonts
and you'll know what I'm talking about. I just can't get easier than
that. You apt-get the package and the install scripts will download all
the font files and install them for you. You won't notice the
difference unless you watch apt's output.

Regards
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)