Re: 4GB HD only reporting half capacity (2GB)

When you say you have tried deleting a partition, do you mean you
have tried deleting all partitions?

I did have a problem recently after installing on a drive with 6
partitions and plenty of unpartitioned space at the end. For some
reason the partitioner used during installation (I can't remember
if it was Debian or Ubuntu) decided to shrink the size of the
extended partition to the current total size of partitions within
it, preventing creation of any new partitions in the 200GB or so
of free space it used to contain :-/

I have also had drives of similar capacity to yours which came with
a jumper option to limit the drive size to 2GB as a workaround for
limitations in many of the operating systems of the time. Sometimes
this made it appear as two 2GB drives (master and slave).

Might be worth checking if there is any chance that the jumpers have
been touched since you last had it working at 4GB.

Failing that, I would probably try using dd to blow away all the
fdisk partitioning, and try partitioning again from scratch - just
in case the geometry information stored there is over-riding what
the hardware reports..

Regards,
DigbyT