Re: Udev problem

Ross Boylan wrote:
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:39:09PM +0100, Wulfy wrote:
I was updating my Sarge system using the backports.org repository.
Foolishly, I updated Udev...  which promptly told me it needed a later
kernel.  I downgraded back to the one I had before.

Now I'm getting problems from a couple of packages I installed at the
same time: libgphoto2 and alsa-utils (which sorta broke at the same time).

I'm getting the following lines in the log:

Apr 19 18:10:12 localhost udev[7046]: parse error /etc/udev/rules.d/025_libgphoto2.rules, line 3:13, rule skipped Apr 19 18:10:12 localhost udev[7046]: parse error /etc/udev/rules.d/025_libgphoto2.rules, line 4:39, rule skipped Apr 19 18:10:12 localhost udev[7046]: parse error /etc/udev/rules.d/025_libgphoto2.rules, line 933:28, rule skipped Apr 19 18:10:12 localhost udev[7046]: parse error /etc/udev/rules.d/z60_alsa-utils.rules, line 1:38, rule skipped

I've attached the rules files. As udev rules might as well be written in Klingon as far as I'm concerned, I'm hoping someone who understands this can help...

I've been struggling with udev too.  I think you've been caught by
its rapid changes.  More recent udevs depend on more recent
(post-stock Sarge) kernels and apparently implement features that the
older udev didn't.  I assume that the errors come from an older udev
trying to parse a file intended only for a newer udev.

Changing a package doesn't necessarily change the config files, which
are what are giving you problems.  If you can do a purge, not just
remove, of the affected packages and then reinstall them you'll
probably fix your problem.

Alternatively, you could plunge ahead into the exciting world of
testing, aka etch.  But if your goal is stability, reversion is
probably safer.

Others on the list may be able to contribute more elegant solutions.

Ross
Aye.  Thanks, Ross.

I'll wait a little to see if someone can come up with something, then if not, I'll purge alsa-utils and libgphoto2-2 and reinstall them at the lower version.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.