Re: Question to the Debian GNOME maintainers about udev

> Derek Piper wrote:
>
> You just explained my problems with 2.6.16.1. Since the mirrors in my
> sources.list didn't have 2.6.16, I went to kernel.org and got the
> source, compiled it and installed it.
>
> Since then, I've had a couple of hard lockups, a kernel panic, and a
> register dump (completed by another lockup) and other weird behaviors. I
> never liked udev, and I like it even less now.
>
> I did not connect udev up with the instability, but because udev was
> causing some problems with ALSA, a few hours ago I planned on removing
> udev from my system, but, as you did, I found that Gnome is dependent
> upon it, and I want to keep Gnome.

I have been running debian sarge with udev from backports. Everything is
working well.

An observation: backports has udev 0.8x. The latest version conflicts with
gnome. udev 0.79 does not. I have installed it and put it on hold, so that
during upgrades, I do not lose it :-)

Another thing that I noticed is that Ubuntu dapper which ships with gnome
2.14 still has udev 0.79.

Regards,

sridhar