Free VMware beta server experience
VMware has a beta server that is free to test.
I found the experience frustrating and quit:
1. I run the 2.6.16-ck1 kernel and the vmware-configure.pl module ran
into problems doing an address space size test, I had to fix the code.
2. The login to their site is ridiculous. You have to fill in a form
every time you login, even after registration.
3. Documentation is poor. Never found a good description of their
networking interfaces and never found out where to get the VMware
Management Interface or VMware Server Console Interface.
4. Search options to their forum are poor: you wade through tons of
5. The network installation creamed Sarge and I could no longer dial in.
Luckily I do good backups and I backed up to yesterday.
If I were tempted by closed source code besides nVidia, it would be
VMware. But I wait this one out a few years ;-)