Re: nfs performance

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Michael Schurter wrote:

> > I use the client for burn my dvd data (with smbmount) but the speed of my dvd
> > is 1,380Kbs :-((( this mean a lot of time per single disc :-(((

put your *.iso image on a local disk on the same system as
your dvd burner

> Better.  You would have a hard time getting any network file system to
> run slower than burning a DVD.  SSH, FTP, HTTP, Samba, NFS -- they
> should all be quite a bit faster.

you should be able to be run at 75% of the thruput of any network
	10Mbps ---->   1MByte/sec
	100Mbps --->  10MByte/sec
	1000Mbps --> 100MByte/sec  ( 7sec to transfer a 600MB cd image )

if you're running slower ... it'd probably because
your nic is too slow ( aka realtek ? ) or your cpu+memory
is the bottleneck

or you have a mixture of incompatible 10Mbps devices mixed in with 100Mbps
devices and 1000MBbps devices

c ya
alvin