Re: OpenOffice.Org and Icewm workspaces

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:56:14 -0500
Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> I use OpenOffice.Org and icewm.  With OOo 2.0.1-5 and icewm 1.2.25-1
> (up-to-date Etch system), I just tried to move all open windows relating to
> a particular project to a workspace of their own (#3) while I worked on
> them.
>
> Whenever I move the mouse over an oowriter window, or use keyboard shortcuts
> to act on menus (e.g. Alt-F, followed by any other key) the viewport is
> suddenly back on Workspace #1!  At first blush, this only happens if the OOo
> document has an automatically-created mailto: link in it.  Any activity
> while that link is showing teleports you back to Workspace #1.  It's quite
> jarring.

I've seen this too Carl. My 733t diagnostic skills point to right-click->move-to
as the problem. IOW, open OO.o in workspace 1. right-click window title and move-to work space 3. switch over there and try it out... teleport back to workspace 1.

hmm.. on testing this some more, it seems to be, after the move-to, that right-clicking in the window is the problem... more testing...

okay. I think I've got it. any action that produces a new window item -- such as a right-click context menu, or clicking on the menu bar, or ctrl-F (find) which pulls up a new dialog... any windowing related activity jumps you back to the original workspace, and if its a dialog, puts that dialog there.

It seems that OO.o doesn't know its been moved to a new workspace, and tries to draw its new widgets in the old workspace. IceWM respects that the focus has shifted to the old workspace and switches you over there.

the work around is to open OO.o in the actual workspace you want to use it in.

and this is definitely a bug, but with whom, I'm not sure, most likely OO.o as other apps don't have this problem, AFAICT.