Re: How unstable is Unstable?

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 13:16:08 -0500
kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you upgrade unstable on a daily basis, there is a high probability
> that it breaks on a daily basis.

My experience contradicts that. I upgrade every ... hhhm ... time I remember. That's about two times a week, if I'm not VERY busy. And I don't use apt-listbugs. I got bitten only twice, one of which was due to an unofficial package (see my other post).

> If you upgrade it on a monthly basis, then there is a high probability
> that it breaks on a monthly basis and stays broken until the next
> upgrade etc.,

Not necessarily. The yaird issue had a good fix until the package itself got fixed.

> The key to run a successful unstable distribution is to not upgrade your
> system once you are satisfied with the current state of affairs.

Which defeats the very purpose to why many people are running unstable (and the OP wants to run it): to always have the latest software.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)