Re: Newcomers to Debian downloading/ordering full CD-set

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:23:44 +0000
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:

> >Thinking more about this I think my personal wishlist/vision would be something like this:
> >
> >CD1: Live/Rescue/Base system
> >
> >CD-Desktop-Base
> >CD-Desktop-Office
> >CD-Desktop-Multimedia
> >CD-Server-Web
> >CD-Server-Mail
> >CD-Server-SQL
> >CD-Developer-Web
> >CD-Developer-Programming
> >CD-Scientific-Math
> >
> >Andrei
> >

> I think this is an excellent strategy - especially the base install
> doubling as a live CD.
>
> What would happen to packages like Apache and Exim? You might expect to
> find them in more than one CD eg Base, Web, Mail etc.

I would rather keep light packages in base and put the heavy machinery on the special CDs. This way you get lots of functionality with the base CD, but if you really need to set up a "heavy" server you would download the respective CD.

> Would you end up with a lot more CDs because the packages do not
> completely fill a particular CD? Perhaps you could get around this by
> making your list a list of sections rather than CDs. Then you could have
> the sections spanning CDs in order to fill the space. You would put the
> sections in the order you suggest so that desktop users would only need
> the first few CDs. This would be equivalent to the idea of "Debian
> Lite". Sysadmins or developers probably have such fat internet
> connections that downloading a larger number of CDs or installing via
> HTTP/FTP is not an inconvenience.
>
> Chris.

Or maybe use jigdo to build your own CD-set according to task and/or individual package selections?

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)