Re: Is anyone using wake-up on A7N8X deluxe *with* 2.6.15 ?

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:41:01 +0100
Dominique Dumont <domi@komarr.grenoble.hp.com> wrote:

> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
>
> >> Since, I have quite a lot of trouble even if I don't try to change the
> >> wake-up time. Setting up the wake-up time through bios
> > ----------------------------------------------------^^^^
> >
> > huh? If you can't get the wakeup time to work properly through the
> > bios, then you have bigger problems that which kernel version you're
> > using. What I will say, is my ASUS A7N8X-E requires a reboot after
> > setting the time to get it so stick. So I set the time and reboot to
> > a dummy kernel that just shuts down the machine. works perfectly.
>
> Foe the record, bios and nvram-wakeup always work when setting the
> wake-up time and the "enable" toggle. I always have consistent results
> regarding the values stored in the nvram.

okay, that's fine. the wakeup time is being stored, or at least seems to be? Check this. boot the computer and run nvram to put in a wakeup time say 30 minutes away, then reboot and go immediately into the the bios setup and check what the bios thinks the wake time should be. It should match the setting you used in nvram. that way you KNOW whether the bios is actually getting the info or not.

> It's only that my machine does not alway wake up. So far I've found that:
> - the machine does NOT wake up next morning if I use KDM's shut down.
> - the machine DOES wake up up if i use "halt"
> - The machine does NOT wake up next morning if I power off peripheral
>   (printer, screee...) during shutdown sequence (done with "halt")
> - The machine does NOT wake up at all after a power failure (general
>   220V failure, I don't know the exact english word for this 220V
>   power). IN this case, the only thing that restore wake-up if to
>   rmmod rtc, modprobe genrtc and perform a halt. I still have to
>   figure out the difference between rtc and genrtc wrt wakeup feature...

I wonder if maybe you've got a bad CMOS battery? the failure to wake after 220v power failure makes me wonder. Also, the inconsistency of your results makes me think that as well. finally, as far as I know, the kernel change shouldn't affect it at all, so long as the data is getting written to the right places. Definitely check that battery...

provided you have set the wakeup time before shutting down, it shouldn't matter what method you use. Except as far as I know you need to do the reboot to get it to work. although, frankly, I haven't tried without it.

check this out for some possible help:

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=WakeupToRecord

its got a lot of other stuff in it, but if you focus on the nvram part, it may help.